Built in 1924, this 10-story building at one time was one of Raleigh’s seven original skyscrapers. The building gets its name from the International Order of Odd Fellows, which for years occupied the top two floors for its headquarters and ballroom. Below the Odd Fellows space were professional offices, and retail was on the first floor. The building is made of concrete and structural ceramic tile with a façade of ornately glazed terra cotta, which displays many of the ritualistic symbols of the Odd Fellows fraternity.
Although the property is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places, it was subjected to years of neglect and deferred maintenance. Empire Properties bought the building in early 2004 and began a substantial renovation to the plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems. Tenants include a variety of professional and non-profit organizations, including graphic designers, lawyers and media outlets.