This Italiente building was built in 1870 as the Central Hotel. It is one of the original remaining buildings in Raleigh that existed at the time of the 1870s bird’s-eye map of the city. This map is so rare, one of the only copies exists in the Library of Congress.
During the 1920s, the hotel was converted into a dry goods store and later into Morrison’s Furniture Company. In the mid-1930s, Albert Levine and his bride, Leah Heilig Levine, bought the building. It continued to house the furniture store until 2002, when Empire Properties purchased it. The building is connected to downtown Raleigh’s only completely private interior courtyard.
After a complete historic renovation, the first floor is now home to Sitti Authentic Lebanese Restaurant. The second and third floors of this space have been leased to Cherokee Investment Partners.
<<Back To Heilig Levine Buildings