Built in 1874 with plans from the Reverend Johannes Adam Simon Oertel, the chapel filled the need for a free Episcopal church in Raleigh that did not rely on the practice of selling pews. Oertel’s vision for the chapel was that of European grandeur on a smaller scale, and it became a reality with the building of the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd.
The post-Civil War chapel was built in a gothic cross configuration, which is highlighted by five clerestory windows on either side of the five-bay nave, and is one of only two examples of the Carpenter Gothic Revival style architecture in Raleigh. The stained glass windows were purchased with funds raised by 19th century Sunday school children. Between 1899 and 1914, the chapel was moved from its original location on Hillsborough Street to Morgan Street, to make way for a new Church of the Good Shepherd.
In 2006, the chapel was moved again to make room for a new Parish Life Center for Church of the Good Shepherd. This latest move, by Empire Properties, saved the All Saints Chapel from destruction and gave it a new home on South East Street, where it remains inside the city center, across the street from Raleigh’s first commissioned cemetery.
All Saints Chapel