Built in 1910, this two-story building was home for 73 years to a dress shop that was a downtown Raleigh landmark. Originally a jewelry store, the building was purchased by the Goodman’s in 1933 during the Great Depression and converted into Goodman’s Ladies Shop. Daisy Harris, who started as a maid to the store’s original owners and later became a top-selling clerk at the store, bought the store from her first employer’s daughter in 1989 and renamed it The Ladies’ Dress Shop. Because the store was a block from Fayetteville Street, when it was the city’s retail center, the store was known as “the little shop around the corner.”
In 2007, Empire Properties renovated the building, restoring its 1940’s display windows and hardwood floors and installing new plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems. The space now serves as Stitch, the showroom, retail space and studio for local handbag designer Holly Aiken.